MPact » Insight
Family office: A steady hand for your family
By Tina Di Vito Partner, Family Office Services
As a business owner, you value the role of a chief financial officer. For many entrepreneurs and company leaders, your CFO has been helping to adapt financial strategy, protect the bottom line, and prepare the organization for what’s ahead.
So, have you considered whether your family could also benefit from the knowledgeable, steady hand offered by a family office?
- Families with complex finances are entrusting their personal affairs to a family office.
- A family office has the skills and experience to carry out important tasks for personal and financial matters.
- By working with a family office, you can safeguard your family’s financial security through the ups and downs of life.
If you have significant or complex personal wealth and assets, you likely have requirements that are similar to those of your business. While the challenges of COVID-19 have you focused on your company, you may have less time and attention to address the financial needs of yourself and your family. Meanwhile, with volatile markets, a disrupted economy, family stress, and a lack of time for informed decision making, you may lie awake at night worrying about how to protect your family’s financial wellbeing. This is why more and more families are entrusting their personal financial affairs to a family office. A family office may comprise a team of advisors and specialists including professionals whose expertise spans the entire spectrum of your family’s financial needs – from wealth management to technology solutions; risk management; tax, succession, retirement and estate planning; administration; bookkeeping and accounting; and governance.
By leveraging and integrating this expertise and support, a family office provides structure, direction, transparency, and objectivity to support your decision making in the following ways.
- Understand your short and long-terms goals for your business and your family, define a clear direction and develop a roadmap
- Ensure your wealth is managed according to your vision and values by establishing governance and oversight processes
- Harmonize planning among businesses, investments, personal assets, philanthropic interests, and family members and help you understand the risks, opportunities, and complexities of related decisions
- Assist in implementing decisions while managing compliance and documentation requirements
- Consolidate assets and provide an objective, professional assessment of progress
- Advise on and implement strategies for retirement, succession, and estate planning to maximize personal financial security
- Prepare the next generation to be capable financial stewards and future business leaders